Welcome to the online syllabus for your class with Matt D. Smith. This page will serve as our project plan and maybe updated throughout the semester.
Our primary focus will be completing the AIUX course.
- to broaden familiarity with the design profession as it relates to User Experience Design, Responsive Web Design, Mobile Design.
- to gain an understanding of basic business practices
- to improve skills in communication about design–especially your own design work–both verbally and written
I'll put some resources here soon.
- Complete all scheduled assignments, meet deadlines, and participation in discussions.
- Watch and complete all AIUX lessons.
- Exude attendance and professionalism.
- Positive attitude, professionalism and clear communication.
- Complete all final course documentation requirements per instructions.
Mondays will be in-person in the classroom and Wednesdays will be held remotely.
There will be assigned AIUX lessons for the entire class related to each week’s topic, but one or two students will be assigned as discussion leaders on that topic to pose relevant questions and lead conversation.
Until further notice, we'll use our class time as follows:
- Mondays: design review and group discussion day
- Wednesdays: virtual working day via Slack
Email me, if you're not setup with Slack yet or got lost somehow.
Class etiquette and attendance
Attendance is mandatory.
Because we only meet in-person once per week, missing class will be detrimental to your understanding of the material and your grade. More than one absence affects your grade. More than two absences results in being dropped from the course with a grade of F. Two tardies equals one absence.
No food in class (per UGA Policy). Drinks must have secure lids. Do not answer or make calls or texts during class time. Turn your cell phone on silent. If you use your phone during a group discussion, critique, lecture or presentation; thus, will effect your final grade.
Your work should exhibit clear communication in both its visual and written components. Writing skills are invaluable to designers and potential employers. Your final grade will be based on a combination of your performance related to:
- Participation in class discussions
- Professionalism /Class Etiquette
- Writing Quality
- Timeliness with Attendance and Class Work
- Collaboration (when necessary)
An A grade necessitates: Full engagement in class discussions, offering thoughtful comments and questions (obviously completes all reading and assignments in a timely fashion). Turn in all assignments on time and in excellent condition. Completed AIUX course. In-person and virtual attendance.
As a University of Georgia student, you have agreed to abide by the University’s academic honesty policy, “A Culture of Honesty,” and the Student Honor Code. All academic work must meet the standards described in “A Culture of Honesty” found at: https://ovpi.uga.edu/academic-honesty/academic-honesty-policy. Lack of knowledge of the academic honesty policy is not a reasonable explanation for a violation. Questions related to course assignments and the academic honesty policy should be directed to the instructor.